We all have many household items that we use in our everyday lives. One of those items is the commonly known Zip-Lock Bag, a resealable zipper storage bag.
A Zip Lock Bag is usually a rectangular bag made of clear p.v.c plastic, that it can be sealed (watertight and airtight) with plastic seal that works as a zipper. Most of them are reusable and appropriate for food storage like a polybag.
There are many types of zip-lock bags. Usually, the most known type is the “food-grade type”. Other types include the storage of bed covers or the ones with a vacuum valve so you can vacuum air through them.
We are going to focus on the uses of the most common zip lock bag, which is the food-grade type.
So let’s take a look at some alternative ways of how to use them.You can use it as a reusable cold-pack or ice-pack for your injuries. Just poor ice with some water in a zip-lock bag, seal it and then apply it to the injured area. If you want to make a more permanent ice-pack, take 1 part of rubbing alcohol and 2 parts of water. You can also mix some food color if you like. Here is a video of how to make a homemade cold gel ice pack.
- Use them as a water-proof cover for your gear/documents. I use them on my hikes, to water proof my extra change of clothes (socks and t-shirts). Also, instead of a map case you can use a clear zip-lock bag. And it’s a cheaper solution for electronics as well. Rather than buying an expensive water-proof case for your mobile phone and other electronic equipment, you can use a zip-lock bag. It is an ideal solution for ultra light hikers, as it’s light as a feather.
- As a lunch box, for your kids or even for you in your daily commuting. They are great if you want to divide portions in different containers and they can also be used as garbage bags for leftovers, which is very convenient, especially for hikers.
- As a survival tool, a large zip-lock can be used as a transpiration trap to collect water from plants and carry it.
- When painting your house or a specific item, you can store your brushes in a zip-lock back to prevent them from drying out. Also, if you store any remaining paint from the bucket in a zip-lock bag for future use, you can save space from your storage room.
- When travelling you can use them as clothes organizer or compressor, if you vacuum the air from inside them. This way you save a lot of space in your luggage for extra stuff. You can separate all your dirty clothes and shoes, so that you don’t have to clean the ones you didn’t wear. It also works great as a safety bag for your shampoo and other liquids.
- For your summer excursions you can store your wet swimsuit with other wet clothes so they don’t dry on you and risk catching a cold. Plus it’s a great case for sunscreen bottles.
So these are the ways I use zip-lock bags. If you think of any other way, I’d be happy to hear it!
Photo by @abrunvoll, www.flickr.com